Towing with Your Toyota Vehicle
Whether you’re transporting a camper, trailer, or another bulky item around Michigan, towing can get tricky. But when you have the reliability of a Toyota on your side, you know it’s possible to get the job done properly and safely — you just have to keep a few things in mind.
- Make sure you know your vehicle’s towing capacity. Every car, truck, or SUV has different capabilities, and you’ll want to make sure you aren’t overloading your Toyota. Refer to your owner’s manual for more info, or give the Fernelius Toyota team a call at (231) 333-3005.
- Distribute the weight properly. Keep the cargo’s center of gravity low, with about 60% of its weight placed toward the front. Also be sure to balance both sides of the trailer to prevent flipping.
- Check to make sure you have as much visibility as possible. If the view through your rear-view mirror will be completely blocked with cargo, consider getting extended side-view mirrors. This will help you keep an eye on traffic and allow for safe turns and lane changes. Also, make sure all of your lights are operational.
- Once it’s time to tow, do so slowly. Driving around a large load at a high speed makes for difficult maneuvering — and it increases your chances of losing your load, flipping, or causing a wreck. Stay in the right lane and take your time.
- If you’re feeling unsure, take a practice tow. Head to a low-traffic area and run through tasks like changing lanes and backing up.
Remember that overlooking details might make for an uncomfortable and potentially dangerous time on the road. If you have additional questions about towing, feel free to reach out to Fernelius Toyota in Cheboygan. Our family owned and operated dealership has been serving Northern Michigan since 2004, and we look forward to helping you and your family, too.